Pages

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Savory Veggie Bread Pudding

I have a cookbook addiction; I'll readily admit it.  I own some cookbooks I've yet to even use (and I have an entire Amazon wishlist devoted to cookbooks).  My mom makes fun of me when she comes over and sees all of them lining my shelves.  "Why do you need so many?" she asks.  The answer?  I like options.  And variety.  Each cookbook has a specific voice and point of view, based on the taste preferences of the author(s).  That inspires my cooking.  There are some amazing cooks out there, professional and not, and I'd like to learn from all of them.  So I buy their cookbooks (because I can't afford to hire them to teach me, at least not now).

OK, enough of me rhapsodizing about cookbooks... How about some actual cooking?  One of the recipes I made recently was Savory Vegetable Bread Pudding from The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook.  Spinach, mushrooms, dijon mustard and bread?  Sounds like something I need to try!  You basically saute the veggies and put them over the bread (like so - that's the sauce in the blender)...
Then you pour the sauce over the bread and veggies, and bake.  I left off the mozzarella slices, and it was fine.  Nothing burnt.
My one possibly negative comment (and this is really more of a preference than something negative) is next time I would probably just cook the veggies and sauce in the casserole dish, and then serve that over toasted bread (think frittata on toast).  It was too much soft food for me, but then again that's what bread pudding is.  And it was still delicious!

0 comments:

Post a Comment