Pages

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Vegan MoFo: Butternut squash soup

Today's Cooking the Rainbow color: orange/yellow

Today was cool and rainy, which always puts me in the mood for soup and bread.  Add to that the butternut squash I got on sale (88 cents!!) and dinner was a no-brainer.  I've made this both on the stovetop and in my slow cooker, and it works equally well both ways.  Today I left it chunky, but sometimes I'll puree it with my immersion blender.

 2 c. butternut squash, peeled and cubed
3 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1/4 c. onion (or more to taste), diced
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/4 tsp. ground thyme
1/4 tsp. ground sage
1 c. red lentils, rinsed and picked over
4 c. vegetable broth
Salt and pepper, to taste

Heat oil, thyme and sage in a dutch oven or pot over medium-low heat.  Add onion and cook for 3-5 minutes, until onion begins to soften.  Add squash, carrot and garlic.  Cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes until squash and carrots begin to soften (stirring occasionally to prevent sticking).  Add lentils and broth.  Simmer for 30 minutes or so, until lentils are cooked.  Adjust seasoning to taste.

I served the soup with these biscuits.  So delicious and perfect for a cool, rainy day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment