Pages

Friday, September 6, 2013

Vegan MoFo: Strawberry-rhubarb mini pies (gluten-free)

Today's Cooking the Rainbow color: red

I had intended today's post to be about making your own pickled beets.  But things are still post-wedding crazy (i.e. heaps of thank yous to finish writing), so instead I bring you strawberry-rhubarb mini pies.  I already had these little cuties photographed and was going to blog about them soon anyway.  And I swear one of these days I'm going to get my lightbox corner set up so I don't have to snap photos with my smartphone.  One of these days...


I made these pies when I was testing out recipe ideas for our reception.  They're delicious but a little too time-intensive when you've got a wedding cake and several batches of cupcakes to make as well.  Yes, I made some of the desserts for my own wedding reception.  Yes, I realize that's crazy and a little sadistic.  But the vegan bakery options in my area are extremely limited - there are no dedicated vegan bakeries, and the regular ones that offer some vegan items just don't do vegan well.  While I toyed with the idea of supporting them because at least they thought to offer vegan treats (and also maybe encourage them to develop some better recipes after they found the vegan stuff sells), in the end my inner bridezilla demanded better goodies.  If I was going to expose my guests to vegan baking (a first for many of them), they were going to have to be exceptional.  "I can't believe it's vegan"-worthy.  But I digress.

These pies, IMHO, fall into the "I can't believe it's vegan" category.  Mr Pescador devoured them and asked for more.  Begged, really.  There's enough dough to make a regular-sized pie if you're pressed for time.  Just bake it longer.

Filling
3 c. rhubarb, washed and chopped
3 c. strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
1-1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. gluten-free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. lemon juice
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients.  Mix well and set aside.

Crust (from YumUniverse)
2 c. gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
1 tsp. salt
5 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. sugar
5 Tbsp. cold water (I usually measure out 1/3-1/2 c. water and add ice, then measure my 5 Tbsp. from that)
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease a standard muffin pan (or line the muffin cups with parchment paper).  In a food processor or stand mixer, add everything but water.  Mix until combined but crumbly.  Add water 1 Tbsp. at a time until the crust comes together - it may still look a little crumbly but if you squish it it sticks together.  Roll out on a floured surface and cut out circles (using a small bowl or other object about 3-4 inches in diameter).  Transfer to a muffin cup and gently mold to the cup.  Repeat for all muffin cups.  Prick the crusts a few times each with a fork and bake for 10 minutes.  If you want to top the pies with a piece of dough cut into a shape (like the hearts I used), cut these out while the crusts bake.

After crusts have baked, fill each with some of the strawberry-rhubarb mix.  Top with the dough shape, if using.  Put back in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly.  Let cool and then gently lift each pie out using a butter knife or fork.  Try not the eat them all at once.  :)

Nutrition benefits
Strawberry: folate, potassium, vitamin C, and manganese
Rhubarb: magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin K, calcium, potassium, manganese

1 comments:

Tofu Mom (AKA Tofu-n-Sprouts) said...

I LOVE rhubarb, so I'll definitely bookmark this!!

Post a Comment