Pages

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Vegan MoFo: Tater tot casserole

Today's Cooking the Rainbow color: white

I'd never had tater tot casserole before I met Mr Pescador.  I was introduced to it as one of his family's Sunday dinners.  They don't happen every Sunday, but pretty regularly his mom and her husband have their kids (and significant others and/or children) over for dinner.  One week they had tater tot casserole.  Mr Pescador really like it so I agreed to try and replicate it, vegan-style.


I tried to stick pretty close to the original, but I couldn't resist adding some veggies.  So far my favorite is mushrooms and green beans.  You can try whatever combination you like and even up the quantity of veggies, but you may need to decrease the amount of TVP so everything still fits in the casserole dish.  Sometimes I make it in a single 9x9 casserole, and others I split it into 2 smaller casseroles and put a layer of cheese slices between the TVP mix and the tater tots (non-dairy for me, regular for Mr Pescador).  And I add broccoli to mine because he hates broccoli, and I love it.  

4 oz. cremini mushrooms, chopped
2 Tbsp. diced onion (or more, to your taste)
1/2 Tbsp. minced garlic (or more, to your taste)
1 Tbsp. + 2 Tbsp. non-dairy butter or margarine
1/3 c. flour
3 c. non-dairy milk, unsweetened plain
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
2 c. TVP crumbles
1 c. frozen green beans
Cheese, optional (slices or shreds)
Frozen tater tots

Preheat oven to 375F.  Grease your casserole dish(es).  Melt 1 Tbsp. butter in a large/wide saucepan.  Saute mushrooms, onions and garlic until softened.  Put in the casserole dish (or divide between dishes).  Add TVP and green beans, and stir to combine.

Meanwhile, in the saucepan melt the remaining 2 Tbsp. butter.  Whisk in flour and cook for a few minutes, to get rid of the raw flour taste.  Slowly whisk in milk and garlic salt.  Cook until thickened and bubbly.  Pour into casserole dish(es) and mix well.  Add cheese layer, if using, then top with the tater tots.  Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until tater tots are golden brown and crispy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment